Each year, the Exhibition awards prizes for various aspects of the event: modelling competition, layout awards, popular votes and of course the guessing competition. In 2001 they were as follows:
Open Modelling Competition Results
As always, our judges were totally independent of AMRA and all entrants. With integrity and enthusiasm, William G Cooper, Kenneth W Gray and Patrick J Watson carried out the judging of the Modelling Competition late into the Friday night, and we thank them sincerely for their efforts.
- 1st place in each category received an award of $50 and an engraved trophy.
- 2nd place in each category received an award of $30.
- 3rd place in each category received an award of $20.
Winners in each category were:
KIT BASED/PROPRIETARY MODIFIED LOCOMOTIVE
- Mark Fry Daven Locomotive - 63pts
- Mark Fry Mining Tractor Locomotive - 62pts
- John Rumming Robe River Dash-8 Pilbara Cab Loco - 54pts
KIT BASED/PROPRIETARY MODIFIED ROLLINGSTOCK
- Mike Crompton LIV 1865 Laboratory Car - 95pts
- Phil Butterworth HO L&C Kits NSWGR TBC First Class Car - 74pts
- Mark Fry Rail Truck - 62pts
- Ian Millard HO Scale 9000 Gallon Tank Car - 93pts
- John Rumming Westrail/WAGR/AW WWA Wheat Wagon - 69pts
- Charlie Agland NZBA Plough Van - 62pts
- Ian Millard 7mm Scale Lattice Signal - 97pts
- Grant McAdam Country Fire Station - 94pts
- Grant McAdam Domestic Garage - 92pts
- Colin Shepherd O Scale 46 Class Locomotive - 63pts
- Colin Shepherd O Scale 44 class Locomotive - 61pts
- Colin Shepherd O Scale 42 Class Locomotive - 60pts
Guessing Competition Results
Drawn Monday 1st October 2001, the winners and their prizes were:
- P. Ling, Budgewoi (layout)
- L. Blackburn, South Penrith (locomotive)
- C. Hardy, Tahmoor (locomotive)
- P. Bayly, Leichhardt (locomotive)
- M. Watkins, Seven Hills (locomotive)
- W. Ellis, Kellyville (train set)
- L. Dukes, Maroubra (train set)
- Y. Bluett (train set)
- S. Brnes, Epping (video)
- N. Tallon, St Clair (video)
- M. Nancarrow, Seven Hills (voucher)
- M. Coates, Penrith (kits)
- G. Dean, Woonona (souvenirs)
- L. Van Vlemen, Glenfield (glues)
- P. Dudkin, Rose Hill (video)
- M. Amey, Mittagong (video)
- B. Reneham, Fairfield (video)
- M. Watkins, Seven Hills (video)
Flyerlink Country Draw
Winner: A. Franks, Castle Hill
92. Swan's Crossing (Mark & Angela Fry)
Comments: The endless fascination of bush tramways, beautifully framed.
AUSTRALIAN STYLE - PRIVATE
92. Swan's Crossing
Comments: see above
AUSTRALIAN STYLE - CLUB
14. Illabo (NSW N Scale Group)
Comments: The NSWR at its most interesting, portrayed in the spacious N scale style. The excellent scenery complemented the equally excellent trains. Operating signals were impressive.
OVERSEAS STYLE - CLUB
2. Kingsvale (Illawarra N Gauge MRC)
Comments: England as we'd like to think it was, without the weather. Kingsvale is a realistic, fascinating slice of English countryside; with a four-track steam main line meandering through it.
OVERSEAS STYLE - PRIVATE
75. Spokane Northern (John Gaffey)
Comments: A beautifully wrought N scale US layout.
BEST TRADE EXHIBIT
17. Great Layouts (Moving Planet Productions)
Comments: With "Red Stag" layout bits as a centrepiece, this display simply must stand out.
HIGHLY COMMENDED 1 (Australian Layout)
28. Passionfruit Creek (Robyn Taylor)
Comments: Whilst perhaps not the most authentically-styled or elaborate layout, Passionfruit Creek nevertheless reflects great credit on its creator.
HIGHLY COMMENDED 2 (Australian Layout)
77. Jembaicumbene (Wayne Hopkins)
Comments: A welcome newcomer to the October exhibition scene. Jembaicumbene is a neat presentation of the beautiful Southern Tablelands, as we would like it to be.
HIGHLY COMMENDED (Trade Stand)
76. Motive Power Publications
Comments: Makes the best of the small space allocated. Eye catching display. Well-placed lighting.
49. Black & White (Creative Modelling Group)
This award is voted for the layouts by the layout exhibitors.
SYDNEY N SCALE AWARD
61. Beyond 2000 (Colin & Vonny Veale)
Presented by the Sydney N Scale MRC.
HANNAH KELLY MEMORIAL AWARD
69. Boggy Creek (Viv Farrow)
Presented this year by June Larmour on behalf of the Kelly Family, in memory of Hannah.
MOST POPULAR EXHIBIT
1. "Black & White"
2. "Swan's Crossing"
3. "Brisbane Water"